|Back to the search|
high season May-Oct.: Wed-Sun 1-5 am
A museum on the history of the copper mill was established in the former gate- and bathhouse of the “Kupfer- und Messingfabrik Crusau” (copper and brass factory Crusau) in 1997. Here the old time-clock of the workers, an extensive collection of candlesticks, kettles, "Flensburger Eimern" (Flensburg buckets), tea pots with warmers, baking tins as well as historical records and pictures of the almost 400-year-history of the copper mill are presented.
The copper mill is one of the oldest industrial monuments in the former Schleswig area. Already around 1600 the water-power of the Krusau, which flows into the Flensburger Förde (Flensburg Firth) at this place, was used to drive a forge. It was founded by Christian IV., King of Denmark and Norway. Since 1633 the copper mill produced sheet copper for the roofs of the Danish royal castles and for the covering of wooden ship hulls. The raw materials were delivered via the nearby Flensburg harbour. In different workshops sheet copper and later also sheet brass were processed to make tubes, poles and large boilers or vats for industrial companies, breweries and distilleries. Household items like candlesticks, cans, kettles and "Flensburger Eimers" (Flensburg buckets) were produced also. These were sold by so called "Kesselträger" (kettle carriers) by land. In the 18th and 19th century 300 people worked in this industrial company, which was the largest in the Danish Empire at that time. The old living quarters of the workers from the early years of the copper mill and the house of the company owner from around 1700 are restored partly. Today they are protected as historic monuments.
Guided tour included
Adults 5,- €
pupils 2,- €
Guided tours of the museum and the site in German and Danish
Jens Peter Hansen: Kobbermøllen ved Kruså, København 1994, Gemeinde Harrislee (Hrsg.): Chronik Harrislee, Bd. 1. K. Andresen: Ortsentwicklung und Alltagsleben im Dorf Kupfermühle. Von den Anfängen bis in die Gegenwart. Flensburg 1997, Several leaflets
The museum in the gatehouse is privately owned by Gisela und Bodo Daetz.Since February 1998 the association "Industriemuseum Kupfermühle e.V." supports the establishment of a museum across the borders. It will show the industrial history of the Schleswig area in cooperation with the Danish "Cathrinesminde Teglværks-museum".
Arriving by car
Motorway A 7 exit Flensburg/Harrislee, federal road B 199 in the direction of Flensburg/Zentrum, federal road B 200 in the direction of Aabenraa/Kolding, exit “Kupfermühle” before reaching the border crossing Krusau (Kruså)
Find more museums…
of the type: Industry/History of technology
of the region: Schleswig-Flensburg